TENS: Indication, Contra-indication, & Dangers
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation:
It is a technique of neuromodulation that affects the sensory pathway by modifying the impulse which leads to relief of pain.
Types of TENS
(i) Continuous or conventional TENS (High frequency and low intensity).
(ii) Pulsed or burst TENS (Low frequency and low intensity).
(iii) Acupuncture-like TENS (Low frequency and high intensity).
Indication of TENS
Contra-indications of TENS
- Skin irritation
- Unpleasant sensation
- Influence on the cardiac pacemaker
- Stimulation of sensitive carotid sinus nerves
- Altered sensation
- Spasm of laryngeal and pharyngeal muscles
- Removal of protective influence of pain
- Neurotic addiction to stimulation
- Destruction of operators of dangerous machines
Danger of TENS
Best tens unit (Popular Brand TENS Machine )
Oxford University Press (UK)
Life Care Systems
Universe Surgical Equipments Co